I’m writing about my favourite things and knick knacks these days. I just felt like somewhere deep down I want to manifest the real me and talk about who and what I really am. Well agreed, my favourite fruit and dessert is not really what makes me – me. But I had to begin somewhere and these things are a rather comfortable start, don’t you think?
- Alphonso Mangoes: There is a reason why they call him the ‘King of all fruits.’ He’s bright and yellow, juicy and sweet, filled with the goodness of vitamin C and one of the few good things about summer. Why-oh-why are these seasonal!?
- Custard Apple/Sitaphal: These babies arrive during the monsoon. They’re sweet and delicious. They have a texture similar to a somewhat-runny custard. Yes, there are a lot of seeds to dodge inside but it is definitely worth it.
- Lychees: These are one of the juiciest fruits known to mankind. They have an attractive red skin which is not to be consumed. But once you clean and peel the outer blanket, you’ll find this sugary dripping goodness inside. Again, this is a seasonal fruit. Why are the best fruits seasonal?
- Peaches: For some reason I haven’t been able to find a decent peach in the city I call home for a decade now. Peaches are delicious fruits. And since I can’t find good peaches here, I thank God for canned fruit. They’re not the same….but they’re still something. 🙂
- Plums: These are dark hued on the outside and light on the inside. These fruits are really juicy and sweet. For some unknown reason, most of the people I have come across think a raisin is a plum. Raisins/currants are dried grapes; dried plums are called prunes. So don’t make me all happy about fetching me a plum and returning with a raisin instead. I’ve fallen for that just too many times.
- (Almost all the) sweet Berries: Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, mulberries…..there are so many delicious berries out there.
- Cherries: I haven’t met anyone who dislikes cherries. Unfortunately they are highly perishable and it is extremely difficult to find some fresh cherries here down south.
- Ice Apples/Tadgolas: Ice apples taste and feel like a slightly tighter/harder jelly/jello. They are seasonal fruits and you must be careful while biting into these because if you are unaware of the juice it houses within, you’ll waste it all in your first bite and your face will be dripping with fruity goodness. These are highly perishable and difficult to find in the main city areas. They’re called tadgola/targola in hindi.
- Figs: I understand, there are not many people who like this fruit. But I really do enjoy a ripe fresh fig. Even the dried variety is oh-so-delicious.
There is just one fruit I absolutely dislike. I hate bananas. I am aware the have a lot of potassium and health benefits but they’re just blah to my tastebuds!
Do you have a list of fruits you absolutely adore? I’d really like to know if there fruit-crazy people like me out there and what exactly they like!
Take Care and Stay Healthy,